When A Death OccursCall us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
Lenexa: (913) 438-6444
Kansas City: (913) 621-6400
If death occurs in a hospital, nursing home, assisted living facility or under hospice care, the nurse will contact Porter Funeral Home and Crematory when you are ready for us to come. We are available 24/7 and the nurse will reach us directly when she/he calls. We will come to the place of death, and strive to arrive within an hour, and take your loved one into our care. Porter Funeral Home and Crematory will contact the next of kin to arrange a conference at a time convenient for you to make memorial arrangements.
If death occurs while not under a doctorís care, a family member will need to contact local law enforcement who will come to the place of death. They will contact the medical examinerís office and the decedent's physician. When their investigation has been completed, they will notify the Porter Funeral Home to come to the place of death.
The following are some items you will need to consider prior to your appointment with the Porter Funeral Home and Crematory counselor:
- Notify relatives and clergy
- Gather life insurance policies and veterans discharge papers
- Come prepared to provide information required for the death certificate; full legal name of the deceased, address, date and place of birth, social security number, parents names including motherís maiden name, number of years of education and occupation and any additional relevant information. We have provided an online form here if you would like to fill out prior to your appointment.
- Bring a recent photo, if available
- Additional information you wish to include in an obituary